Spartan Mosquito, Jeremy Hirsch, and the Bonner Analytical Testing Company are targets of a class-action suit filed May 4th, 2020, in the Southern District of New York by the firm Bursor & Fisher. Suit seeks court orders to stop the defendants’ illegal practices and for company to undertake a corrective advertising campaign. $5,000,000 is also sought.
- “… the Spartan Mosquito Eradicator is a complete scam.”
- “Product is ineffective for mosquito control because it does not kill mosquitoes or decrease mosquito populations.”
- “Defendants are well-aware that the Product is ineffective yet sell it anyway in pursuit of profit and in clear disregard for public health and safety.”
- “If Defendants’ claim of having solved one of mankind’s most vexing problems
and greatest health challenges using just sugar, salt, and yeast sounds too good be true, that is because it is.”
- “Defendants already know that the Product does not work. They have repeatedly
commissioned efficacy tests which found that Defendants’ marketing claims were unsupported and that the Product did not work as advertised. However, they have suppressed publication of these findings using nondisclosure agreements and threats to the scientists involved in this research.”
- “… the Mosquito Illness Alliance has listed the Product as the first in their list of ‘Myths/Scams (Products that do not work)’.”
- Spartan’s founder and spokesperson, Jeremy Hirsch, has made personal threats to at least one scientist involved in this research in order to intimidate him out of publicizing the results of his research.”
Spartan Mosquito and Jeremy Hirsch (inventor, chairman of the board, spokesperson) are represented by Edward Boyle and Anna Dimon (both of Venable LLP). Bonner Analytical Testing Company (owned by Spartan VP Chris Bonner’s dad) is represented by Rachel Bandli and Daniel Benson (both of Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP, a favorite of Trump and similar folks). Bonner Analytical is named in the suit because some of the experiments were conducted at the facility. The attorney who filed the class-action is Yitzchak Kopel. Mr Kopel seems to specialize on companies that make mosquito-control claims.
Documents filed in court
Here is the full listing of available documents. I link to several of the documents below, but if you’d like to receive any of the other documents, contact me.
February 24, 2021
- “Notice of motion to dismiss complaint by defendants AC2T, Inc. and Jeremy Hirsch“
- “Memorandum of law in support of motion by AC2T, Inc. and Jeremy Hirsch to dismiss complaint“
- “Declaration of defendant Jeremy Hirsch in support of motion to dismiss complaint”
- Exhibits (14 PDFs) mentioned in 2021-02-24 memorandum in support of motion to dismiss
- “Notice of defendant Bonner Analytical Testing Co.’s motion to dismiss“
- “Memorandum of law in support of defendant Bonner Analytical Co.’s Motion to Dismiss“
- “Plaintiff’s memorandum of law in opposition to defendants’ motions to dismiss“